Helping those in need - Lab 1

Now that I've uploaded my submission for Release 0.1, what's a guy to do? Once I finished, I felt the best way to reach out to my fellow colleagues was to make a post in our Slack group. Here, I stated that I was looking for someone to help go over my project, and that I used Python to program it. In return, I offered to take a look at the work they had done.

While I was waiting for someone to respond to my post, I kept a lookout for others who requested the same help, while prioritizing students that also used Python so that I could help myself learn the language a bit better and see how others approached the task.

Ultimately, I ended up helping the following students on their projects:

https://github.com/HenryZerocool/henz-cli/issues/2

To help out HenryZerocool, I suggested adjusting their comment style to be in-line with the standards set for Python code, which only requires one hash symbol ('#') for code comments.

https://github.com/phast184/link-checker-tool/issues/3

The first of 2 issues I brought to phast184's attention had to deal with running the program and the problems I was encountering. While it may be on my end, I still felt the need to bring it to their attention. The result of this issue was a missing step in the setup that was necessary to run the program.

https://github.com/phast184/link-checker-tool/issues/1

The final issue opened for phast184 involved the regular expression they used. By placing it all on one line, it required a lot of scrolling to be able to read it all. I suggested that they attempt to split it up so that it was easier to read for anyone attempting to view the code.

This exercise has taught me a lot about the workflow of GitHub, and how even the most simple of issues made can lead to game-changing results! I am definitely more comfortable with interacting with other programmers now, and hope to continue to grow in confidence.

Comments