Halloween Badges - Hacktoberfest pt. 2

My second outing along the spooky roads of Hacktoberfest, I entered the world of documentation badges, and what they can be reflect within the repository, along with the connections they can make with other repos. This journey led me to the world of Enarx, which is a collection of projects aimed towards application deployment.

My discovery of this collection of repos began with issue #50 within enarx/bot. Here, I expressed my interest to work on solving this issue. Here, I met mbestavros who helped me to see what the need of these badges would be. After some discussion and a few examples that were provided, I sent in my first PR.

Unfortunately, my understanding of what was desired wasn't quite what I implemented. Rather than placing the badge within the README of the bot, what they were really looking for was linking the status of the bot to other repos that were implementing that bot.

With this new information in hand, I readjusted my focus. By this point, I had found my way into the organization's chat room on 'Rocket.Chat', where I further discussed the new, broad fix that would be implemented now, and for future repos as needed.

Once I submitted this new PR and was able to get it to pass the majority of the new checks, I was left with one final hurdle. Since they implement 'cargo readme' for their README generation, rather than placing the badge within the README itself, I instead had to work it into the [badges] portion of the 'Cargo.toml' file. This is where I met my final match; with the way the 'cargo readme' is set up, it was discovered to only allow one reference to a Git workflow for badges. The much bigger task of re-working the Cargo setup was expected to be needed, so for now, I'm stuck at an impasse. 

While, in the end, there was not a lot of work needed to get this issue (nearly) fulfilled, it allowed me to connect with a number of different people and new processes, and has given me the motivation to stay within the Enarx organization for a future PR, as well as keeping up with implementing more badges for them while they continue to rework their system.

This was a very enlightening experience for me, allowing me to see that even if something requires a small amount of code, there can be major changes needed just to accept it.

Update: some enlightening information was given to me, and the work-around to get the README to allow any number of badges was to make a template that would be used with 'cargo readme' to generate a proper README file. Once I made up this template (an a bunch of rebase hoops to jump through), I was able to submit a PR that passed all of the necessary checks. It is awaiting review, but is likely to be accepted.

Comments