My First Steps

 Hello readers! 

My name is Matthew Ross, and I am a currently a student at Seneca College in Ontario, Canada. This is my first (of many) posts that will attempt to track my progress as I get situated within the world of Open Source Development.

Why Blog?

While creating this blog is meant to be a requirement of a course focusing on Open Source Development, I have always considered documenting my thoughts in a way that will not only help me organize my thoughts, but also help others that are on a similar path to myself. My main reason for taking this particular course is to get over the overwhelming leviathan that is creating a presence in the OS world. It all seems overwhelming, and I hope that good instruction and guidance can get started. In the end, my plan is to collaborate with other developers, expand my knowledge on new and exciting topics, and make a name for myself (even if it is just a small piece of something much greater).

With the year 2020 being what it is, it makes sense to try and grow an online presence, since event such as networking are likely going to be through screens, so having a profile to show off can help break the mold. Currently, I'm working out of Kincardine, ON, which is situated along the coast of Lake Huron.

What I hope to get out of this practice

My goals with this blog and my participation in the community is to explore technologies and languages that I have only had a limited exposure to, and to contribute to projects that catch my attention. Once out of college, my eyes are set on Web Development, but being someone who enjoys working with data, the world of Machine Learning and Data Science are areas that have always intrigued me. On top of that, the other course that I am taking this semester is Computer Vision, so I'm curious to see how much that subject will alter my thoughts.

On that note, I scoured the trending projects on GitHub to try and find a repository that caught my attention. In the process, I discovered https://github.com/microsoft/computervision-recipes, which is a collection of "examples and best practice guidelines for building computer vision systems". While progress through my Computer Vision course, I plan on referring back to this repo to see if I can get a grasp on things I can improve on, and how well I'm capturing the knowledge needed to understand this field.

Thanks for checking out what will be the first of many posts by me, and I hope that my journey into the world of Open Source Development will be as adventurous for me as it will be for you!

Comments